Compaq Proliant 370 installation

Hi,

I'm trying to install Debian 2.2r2 (Kernel
2.2.18pre21)  on a Compaq Proliant ML370 with a
Compaq Smart Array 431 - Controller and 2 (mirrored)
scsi-disks from CDROM.
Problem: The installation routine doesn't _see_ any
hard disks.

I have already installed Debian on some PCs with
IDE-Disks - no problem.

But now I'm at the end of my wits. Could anybody
please tell me in general which steps I have to
undertake to get my system work properly?
(e.g. Do I have to compile Smart RAID support into the
kernel? Do I have to upgrade/patch the kernel? ...)

Thanks in advance,

Regards
Dieter