Re: NFS related error; do I need NFS? --Solved!

On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 06:09:16PM -0700, Gladimir wrote:
> Yea!  That's one boot problem out of 5 completely solved!
>
> I ran dpkg --status nfs-common as suggested and found the name of the
> package, which was nfs-common, amazingly enough.  I started dselect and went
> right to the select screen where I located the nfs-common package and marked
> it for purge.  This led me to a dependancy resolution screen where I also
> marked the nfs-server to be purged.  I accepted these changes and let
> dselect remove the packages, which it did without error or complaint.
> Finally, I rebooted and everything works as it did before, except for the
> lack of the rpc.statd error messages.

In fact, if you remove the "portmap" package, all the packages
that use the rpc (remote procedure call) interface will show up
and can be marked for removal.

Also try running "netstat -ntap" as root.  It will show you what
programs are listening on what network ports.  Jeremy is completely
right that you should disable anything that you do not understand
of why it is there.

Cheers,

Joost