Re: fsck and non-contiguous

	Subject: fsck and non-contiguous
	Date: Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 12:17:59PM -0500

Quoting xucaen@yahoo.com(xucaen@yahoo.com):
> Hi all.....
> You know how every so often while booting debian, fsck will run?
> well, last week I noticed that after it ran, it said .3% non contiguous.
> Today it ran and it said .6% non contiguous.
> My question is.. why diesn't fsck fix the non contiguous errors it finds?
>
> about a month ago my hard drive failed. before it failed it was dojng this
> same thing. when debian wouldn't boot any longer, I ran fsck manually and
> it didn't seem to work.. Not fsck's fault, the hard drive is completely bad.
> Could this be a sign of another hard drive failure? (it's a different drive, I
> tossed the old one) or should I just run fsck as root and fix the non contiguous errors?

I don't consider 'non contiguous' to be an error.  It has never
bothered me but if it does bother you, you could try

apt-cache show defrag
Package: defrag
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 715
Maintainer: Adam Heath <adam.heath@usa.net>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.73-1
Depends: libc6
Filename: dists/potato/main/binary-i386/admin/defrag_0.73-1.deb
Size: 290134
MD5sum: 7e9084be2707e6e68bab23332ee7e465
 As a file system is used, data tends to become more and more scattered
 over the disk, degrading performance.  A disk defragmenter simply
 reorganises the data on the disk, so that individual files occupy a
 single sequential set of disk blocks, and all the free space on the
 disk is collected together in a single region.  This generally means
 that reading a whole file is more efficient.

--
If a listener nods his head when you're explaining your program, wake
him up.