Re: SID out of Date ??

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 04:46:58PM -0400, Case, Benjamin wrote:
| That makes complete sence. Is 3/10 ancient times as far as SID is

March is ancient in OSS terms.

| concerned ? I just want to work with the 2.4 kernel, some Xfree 4
| stuff, and I know that there are SID level dependancies that I will

Nope, I have woody on my box and X4 is really nice.  I downloaded (via
apt-get) kernel 2.4 but I haven't installed it yet since I know it
will either work or fsck my modutils (which would make 2.2 unusable).

| need to meet for those.  This is just temporary until my DSL
| comes....so I am d/l all of SID to have for the next week or so.
| Does that sound like a good apporach, or am I goin overboard. I just
| dont want to find myself in search of Packages without any internet
| to get them with.

I'd recommend getting Potato CDs to install from.  Then download the
packages you want, and any dependencies from woody to put on
removeable media (CD-R works fine, or zip disk, or move a hard drive,
whatever).  packages.debian.org will list all the packages and the
dependencies each package has.

If you have a dial-up connection that you don't pay
per-[minute|byte|whatever] you can use it to download stuff overnight.
(I only have dial-up at the moment so that's what I do).

Point sources.lst to woody and

    apt-get update
    apt-get --download-only dist-upgrade

YMMV on the dist-upgrade though.  Several weeks ago I had no
show-stopper problems.

Getting every package is going overboard since, presumably, you don't
use every package.  Just get the ones you need.

-D