Re: Problem upgrading testing: Perl may be unconfigured ..

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 04:28:17PM -0400, Sebastian Canagaratna wrote:
> Jim:
>
>     I spoke too soon ( my machine is very slow: 66MHz ). I did get
>     the same error message as before when I tried what you suggested,
>     but it did not abort. It did install the debconf package and
>     now it seems to have completed preconfiguring the packages
>     and is now unpacking the various packages. It will probably
>     take the whole night. I am keeing my finger crossed.
>
>     Thanks.
>
>  Sebastian.
>

> On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 01:33:37PM -0600, Jimmy Richards wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 03:23:00PM -0400, Sebastian Canagaratna wrote:
> > > Hi:
> > >  I am running the unstable Debian. I tried upgrading ( apt-get
> > >  update; apt-get dist-upgrade ) and it seems to abort somewhere
> > >  along the way with:
> > >
> > >    Perl may be unconfigured ( can't modigy goto in lvalue subroutine
> > >    return at /usr/perl5/Debconf/Base.pm line 24, near "}"
> > >    Compilation failed in require at (eval 4) line 3
> > >      .. propagated at /usr/share/perl/5.6.1/base.pm line 18.
> > >    BEGIN failed-- compilation aborted at
> > >    /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Iterator.pm line 5
> > >
> > >     and ultimately it aborts.
> > >
> > >  Any suggestions as to what to do next?
> > >
> > >  Thanks.
> > >
> > >  Sebastian
> > >
> > > --
> > > Sebastian Canagaratna
> > > Department of Chemistry
> > > Ohio Northern University
> > > s-canagaratna@onu.edu
> > >

> >    Hi Sebastian,
> >
> >    Make sure you already have the newest version of 'debconf' installed.
> > If necessary, download the debconf package and install it manually with
> > dpkg -i <package> command.
> >
> >    HTH,
> >
> >    Jim Richards

	Hi Again,

	Ahh... cool! Glad it seems to be working. Just to let you know, in
the future you should only make your replies to the debian-user mailing
list, and not reply directly to an invidual's e-mail address unless
they have requested it, as this annoys some folks. Doesn't bother me
really though. Just an fyi.

	Have fun!

	Jim Richards