Re: hp5l paraport print insanity

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 02:12:18PM -0400, Theodore Knab wrote:
> Thanks to my HP5l parallel printer, I very close to entering a parallel state of consciousness.
>
> My dilema:
>
> The printer prints fine in ASCII text mode.
>
> I am under the assumption that there is something wrong with my /etc/printcap file.
>
> I have been using the GUI to run the printer tests, but editting the /etc/printcap file by hand.
>
> The problem occurs when I attempt to print in Postscript mode.

Then I would suggest looking into the postscript filter.

> Packages being used:
> ii  lprngtool      1.1.1-3        GUI frontend to LPRng based /etc/printcap
> ii  lprng          3.7.4-4        lpr/lpd printer spooling system
> ii  ifhp           3.4.4-1        Printer filter for HP LaserJet printers

I don't see ghostscript, but maybe you just didn't mention it.  If you
want to convert postscript to your printer's native speak, it is likely
that you will need ghostscript.

I am not familiar with ifhp, magicfilter works fine here.

> My /etc/printcap
>
> ##LPRNGTOOL## LOCAL lj4dith 600x600 letter {} LaserJet4dither Default {}
> lp
> :ifhp=hp4l
> :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp
> :sh
> :ml=0
> :mx=0
> :af=/var/spool/lpd/lp/acct
> :lf=/var/spool/lpd/lp/log
> :cd=/var/spool/lpd/lp
> :lp=/dev/lp0
> :if=/usr/lib/filters/ifhp
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Did you put it there, or lprngtool?  In any case, it appears to pass
raw postscript straight through, which it shouldn't, unless you do have
a postscript printer (but iirc hp5l isn't).

> Another /etc/printcap with same results:
>
> ##LPRNGTOOL## LOCAL lj4dith 600x600 letter {} LaserJet4dither Default {}
> lp
> :ifhp=hp5l
> :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp
> :sh
> :ml=0
> :mx=0
> :af=/var/spool/lpd/lp/acct
> :lf=/var/spool/lpd/lp/log
> :cd=/var/spool/lpd/lp
> :lp=/dev/lp0
> :if=/usr/lib/filters/ifhp
> :
>
> Any assistance in resolving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Try to save a postscript file (eg. "man -t man > a.ps" or
"ls | a2ps -o a.ps") and then play with the ifhp filter until you
can get it to output the proper format for your hp5l printer.
You should be able to test the latter by cat'ting to /dev/lp0, but
I may be mistaken about that.  It's worth trying anyway.

Cheers,

Joost