Re: Internet connection

On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 08:24:33PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
| Kent writes:
| > /dev/modem is usually a symbolic link to the actual ttySx; either tell
| > wvdial to use /dev/ttyS1 instead of /dev/modem, or create the link with
| > the command "ln -s /dev/ttyS1 /dev/modem".
|
| Please do the former.  The link is a bad idea.

Why do you say the link is a bad idea (serious question)?

I like the link technique because then all programs can call the modem
"modem" and similarly call the mouse "mouse" and the cdrom "cdrom"
rather than configuring each program to use the proper ttySx or psaux
or usbmouse or hdx or sdx or whatever the device really is.  I have a
link /dev/cdrom that points to the real drive, /dev/hdc.

-D