Re: apt-get upgrade problem

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Hank Marquardt wrote:

> Maybe this is self evident to some, but I'm stuck ... I'm running unstable, I hadn't upgraded in about a week -- then last night I did and there were 128 packages to upgrade including most of KDE.  After it fetched the archives it chugged about half way though and then puked --
>
> It indicates it needs to add an additional package 'kdelibs3' -- it fetches it just fine but then dies like so:
>
> dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
> /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs3_4%3a2.2.0-0beta1-2_i386.deb (--unpack):
>  trying to overwrite `/usr/share/mimelnk/application/x-designer.desktop', which is also in package kdevelop
> dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
> /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs3_4%3a2.2.0-0beta1-2_i386.deb
>
> I tried 'apt-get -f install' ... it chokes in the same place, I tried
> 'apt-get remove kdevelop' as I only installed it to play with it --
> but remove complaines that there are unmet dependancies and suggests
> running apt-get -f install --

I upgraded from potato to testing and then to sid a few days ago and had
the same problem but with a different filename. I just did this:

dpkg -i --force-overwrite
/var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs3_4%3a2.2.0-0beta1-1_i386.deb

followed by this to fix and continue:

apt-get -f install
apt-get -u dist-upgrade

When done, I set sources.list back to testing. I went to sid to get all of
gnome 1.4. Risky, but then I drop back to testing from now on.

Everything seems OK but I run gnome, not kde.

...RickM...