Re: Can't boot from a PPC mac

Hello,

please note that there is debian-powerpc list where there is a bigger
possibility that you will be helped (most of debian-useris i386).

Well, you can use BootX if you want to boot Linux and MacOS.  BootX is a
MacOS application which will give you a menu in the beginning of the boot
process.

But if you do not need MacOS it is possible to install only Linux on the
system. I can not remember it fully, but here is what I did:

First download a graphical open firmware. Information about OF can be
found at: http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/SystemDisk-tutorial/

Set the input to kbd and the output to /chaos/control

Reboot you mac and press 'command+option+o+f' to boot into OF. Then make
sure the following variables have the corresponding values:
load-base 600000
boot-device scsi-int/sd@0:0
boot-file /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2
input-device kbd
output-device /chaos/control

You can set these with 'setenv' and print it with 'printenv'.

This will boot Linux from the first scsi controller, first harddisk, get
the file /vmlinuz and mount root on /dev/sda2 (sda1 if the partition
table).

Now you have to trick a lot to make this work. For example, you have to
install the quik bootloader. The configuration file  can look like:
/etc/quik.conf:

partition=2
root=/dev/sda2
timeout=100
default=linux
image=/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        read-only

Be aware that /vmlinuz must be a file and not a default symlink.
Note 1: if you messed up your OF, press command+option+p+r. This will
restore the defaults
Note 2: if you booted macos, your OF settings will be reset
Note 3: for more OF information, see the netbsd page
Note 4: when powering on, the quik bootloader will not work. This is
because the harddisk has not spinned up yet. Wait a few seconds, reboot
(command+option+on/off key).

I hope this information is usefull.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan