Re: Debian, Openlinux, RH

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 12:53:14PM -0400, Peter Kok wrote:
| Hi all
|
| What is the different between Debian, Openlinux, RH?
| I concern their secuirty, admin

Their package management systems, the available packages, the
organization of the overall system, and the user base (community).

If you are worried about security, I think Debian is the best.  All
you need to do is include security.debian.org in the
/etc/apt/sources.list file (it is there by default) and 'apt-get
update ; apt-get updgrade' periodically.  Well, you also need to
configure the system and services properly, but that is a given
regardless of which OS you use.

I have found that Debian to be the best (a subjective opinion,
obviously) and more packages than any other distro.  It also has the
latest-and-greatest before others (when was the last time you saw RH
provide "unstable"?  I mean, that was marketed as 'unstable' with the
latest-and-greatest, not a stable-without-the-latest-and-greatest-(stuff-released-after-our-release)-but-really-unstable-because-we-used-a-broken-compiler).

-D