common configuration for gazillion browsers

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 12:58:36PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> It's already got a name:  Standard Web Proxy Interface (SWPI):
[...]
> ...from Rick Moen Wednesday on linux-elitists.

... and all I was thinking about was how to point my browsers to the same
proxy in the first place.  Sounds cool, though.

What I am hoping for, is some way to gather all common options for
web-browsers in one place such that I don't have to re-enter the same
options over and over again when I like to try a new browser.  Such
options include proxies, fonts, colors, MIME-handlers, homepage,
bookmarks, cookies, SSL-certificates and maybe some others I now fail to
remember.

And of course this annoyance is not limited to browsers.  The same rituals
awaits when one tries a new mail/news reader, what mail folders you use,
what mail/news servers (environment variable can hold only one), scoring,
address book, keybindings, etc.

Organizing configuration by functionality instead of applications might
help, but I'm not even pretending to understand all the aspects.
Intuitively it would just feel like the right way.

> I'm arguing fonts in another list right now, the idea of proprietary,
> controlled-distribution fonts in an environment which parks rendering on
> desktops, many of which are governed by free software rules, is broken.

Umm, could you rephrase that so that I could understand it with my limited
understanding of english?  Something about applications controlling
themselves what fonts they use is bad...?

--
Tommi Komulainen                                 Tommi.Komulainen@iki.fi
GPG 1024D/68388EE6    6FD6 DD79 EB38 BF6F 3533  09C0 04A8 9871 6838 8EE6