Re: galeon - skipstone?

on Thu, May 17, 2001 at 10:24:01PM +0300, Tommi Komulainen (Tommi.Komulainen@iki.fi) wrote:

> Hmm, now that I started thinking about it, a lot of browser configuration
> could be collected in one place.  How many times have you cursed at the
> different default fonts in different browsers?  Or the proxy settings?
> (I have http_proxy environment variable set, but sometimes it looks like
> browsers that provide their own configuration variables for proxies,
> ignore it altogether.)
>
> Too much work for a quick hack, any takers? :)

It's already got a name:  Standard Web Proxy Interface (SWPI):

    The other item on my feature wish-list, however, is more ambitious:
    I'd like to be able to get access to an HTTP proxy's configuration
    in real-time from within a rendered page.  I want to be able to
    right-click on a rendered item, and specify either (1) proxy to
    oblivion all objects from this IP, (2) proxy to oblivion all objects
    from this FQDN, (3) proxy to oblivion all objects from a subdomain I
    specify, (4) give me the ability to specify some regex substitution
    right now, and implement it immediately, and (5) list all rules
    currently in effect and let me inspect/edit any of them.

    It's unreasonable to have to build a general-purpose HTTP proxy into
    every Web browser, so what we should be looking for is a standard
    software interface browsers can talk to, and that proxies can take
    direction from.  I.e., a SWPI = Standard Web Proxy Interface.  If
    you're running the Apache proxy, you'd just also enable this in
    httpd.conf:

       LoadModule proxy_swpi_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/libproxy_swpi.so

    If you're running Junkbuster, you enable the SWPI extension.  And so
    on.

...from Rick Moen Wednesday on linux-elitists.

Sounds as if you're extending this to be a browser configuration proxy.

I'm not sure which of these are generally applicable.  There are
conventions for specifying proxies via environment variables as you
note, but other options are harder to pin down.  I'm arguing fonts in
another list right now, the idea of proprietary, controlled-distribution
fonts in an environment which parks rendering on desktops, many of which
are governed by free software rules, is broken.