Re: How to handle whitespace in filenames ???

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 01:03:30 -0600, Gary Turner <kk5st@swbell.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 00:21:51 -0600, Michael D. Schleif wrote:
>

> In fact, using win98se;
> c:\WINDOWS>a: <enter>  => a:\
> a:\cd c:\home <enter>  => a:\
> a:\c:         <enter>  => c:\home
>
> thus you have changed the working directory in the other drive without
> changing your current position.

The point was it doesn't change the current working directory when you
specify a different drive, unless you give it an extra switch.  It's
kind of a pain for scripting (at least for someone used to the unix
change dir).

> >The fact that you require a *nix shell (cygwin) on your windoze box is
> >very telling.

Umm, I wrote the cygwin part... And yes I use cygwin, at work where I
must use Windows but it has sucky equivalents (if any) for putting
together throw away scripts (which I often need to write).

Please, let's put this love fest to rest.  Spaces are legal in filenames,
it sucks for shell scripts, but lusers like them, so we [programmers,
script writers, etc.] *must* deal with it.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>