Re: How to handle whitespace in filenames ???

Craig Dickson wrote:

> Eric G. Miller wrote:
>
> > Yea, but don't you need a switch to change drives?
> >
> > c:\> cd d:\cygwin
> > c:\> Does not compute...
> > c:\> d:
> > d:\> cd cygwin
> > d:\cygwin>
> >
> > Okay, that isn't the real error message... That whole drive letter
> > thing is way dainbramaged...
>
> The drive letter thing is indeed quite lame, although it probably made
> better sense in the days of 4 kb RAM on an 8080 processor (MS-DOS
> inherited, or stole, that design from CP/M, which did indeed run on
> such limited machines).
>
> However, your example is actually wrong. "cd d:\cygwin" is a perfectly
> legal MS-DOS command; it sets the current working directory for drive D
> to \cygwin, regardless of what your current drive is.

Haven't I already caught you trying to foist un-tested information
earlier in this thread?

This fails on *ALL* of the following canonical installations:

	MS-DOS v3.31
	windoze 3.x
	windoze 9x
	windoze nt 4
	windoze 2000

I just finished *DEMONSTRATING* this _fact_ on five (5) systems here.

The fact that you require a *nix shell (cygwin) on your windoze box is
very telling.

As I said before, this is getting very bo-o-o-o-o-o-o-ring . . .

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .