Re: ARGH!! Now It's WORSE :-(

On Wed Dec  5 13:45:00 2001 Shri Shrikumar wrote...

>On Wed, 2001-12-05 at 18:19, Stan Brown wrote:
>> Somehow I have installed something on the machine at work that spits out an
>> erro meesgae about every 5 minutes about an I/O error on the floppy (which
>> I NEVER use).
>
>Find out if your floppy drive is mounted by using just
>
>mount

Nope, the floppy is not mounted.

>df would also show an error if there was some problem accessing the
>device. if there is an error on any device - just try umounting it and
>using umount -f (as root) if necessary.
>
>> I've posted about this twice in the last week or so, but never goy any
>> useful answers. So this morning I wnet through dselect trying to compare
>> packages between teh machines, I dleted a few packages on the machine at
>> work in an effort to get rid of this (since it make using the console
>> impossible). Now it's worse! Now in addiation to that error I'm geting
>> "cdrom: open failed"
>
>Do you use cdrom sources with apt - if so, you might want to switch that
>off. check your fstab to see if the cdrom or floppy are mounted
>automatically (they probably shouldn't be and there should be noauto in
>their options)

Niehter one is in fstab. I installed over the network, and have never put
cdrom in the apt-get souces lisiting.

>With regards to access to console, Have you tried switching to another
>console like tty2 - tty6 to see if the messages show up there as well.

Right, they show up on hte one you are  using :-(. If I leave something
runing in one and switch away from it, it's disply remians OK. if I run
something, and stay on that one, it get messed up.

>Also, if you ssh in, the messages should not show up. this should make
>troubleshooting easier.

True if I work from another machine, they don't show up.

Thanks.

--
Stan Brown     stanb@awod.com                                    843-745-3154
Charleston SC.