Re: ARGH!! Now It's WORSE :-(

On Wed, 2001-12-05 at 18:19, Stan Brown wrote:
> Somehow I have installed something on the machine at work that spits out an
> erro meesgae about every 5 minutes about an I/O error on the floppy (which
> I NEVER use).

Find out if your floppy drive is mounted by using just

mount

or

df

df would also show an error if there was some problem accessing the
device. if there is an error on any device - just try umounting it and
using umount -f (as root) if necessary.

> I've posted about this twice in the last week or so, but never goy any
> useful answers. So this morning I wnet through dselect trying to compare
> packages between teh machines, I dleted a few packages on the machine at
> work in an effort to get rid of this (since it make using the console
> impossible). Now it's worse! Now in addiation to that error I'm geting
> "cdrom: open failed"

Do you use cdrom sources with apt - if so, you might want to switch that
off. check your fstab to see if the cdrom or floppy are mounted
automatically (they probably shouldn't be and there should be noauto in
their options)

With regards to access to console, Have you tried switching to another
console like tty2 - tty6 to see if the messages show up there as well.

Also, if you ssh in, the messages should not show up. this should make
troubleshooting easier.

check your /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog and run dmesg, see if
there is anything *interesting* there. also run ps -e to see if there
are any processes running that shouldn't be.

Just some thoughts as to where the problem might be.

Good Luck

Shri