Dual-boot failure with 2.4.8

Hi:

  I am running both NT4.0 and Linux (Debian Woody). I recently
  installed the 2.4.8 kernel. Since it ran fine from a floppy,
  I copied the bzImage to /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.8
  Ran lilo
  dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
  mcopy /bootsect.lnx a:

  Then under NT copied the bootsect.lnx to C:\

  and when I reboot and select linux

  it starts up ok but hangs up after LI

  This used to work with the earlier kernels. Am I doing something
  wrong or is the procedure changed for the new kernels?

  The processor is a Pentium III Xeon.

  In my home computer, (Pentium II) I did the same thing, but there
  I was successful!

  Right now I boot up from the floppy disk, but I'd like to
  get away from that.

  Thanks for any suggestions.

--
Sebastian Canagaratna