Re: Patititioning hard drive

Paolo Falcone, 2001-Dec-06 02:25 +0800:

> Yes, there are considerable advantages in breaking up your drive into
> smaller partitions. One would be relative security of data against
> possible file system corruption. Given that the root partition's
> filesystem has been corrupted, it is possible to lose all data on
> it. By breaking up to partitions, you can minimize data loss (e.g.
> if you separate your /home partition from the /, if / gets hit, the
> contents of /home are still intact). Another is during filesystem
> recovery, it would generally take a shorter time fixing a small
> root filesystem as opposed to a very big one.

I agree whole-heartedly

> it will be tedious to implement a partition scheme (especially when
> you're using a filesystem != ext2/ext3), but it's well worth it.

I don't thinks it's tedious at all, but that's fine. :-)

> I don't know if I'm right, but I think you'll need the separate
> boot partition (/boot i think), if lilo can't load to MBR due to
> the 1024th cylinder BIOS limitation. So far, I haven't encountered
> this (maybe I've got a good BIOS, or maybe because I use grub as
> my bootloader). Anyway, implementing separate partitions is really
> good when you're using it in a server environment (a small / around
> 60 to 80 MB; a separate,medium sized /usr partition; another separate
> /var partition for your logs, mail, http server; a separate,
> relatively big /tmp if you're using apps that make heavy use of
> temporary file generation like oracle, and a separate, big,
> quota-enabled partition for the users in /home may seem a decent
> partition scheme for a multiple -user setup).

I've been using the following scheme on several different
systems:

mount	size		location
swap	= memory size	beginning of drive
/	2GB		after swap
/home	remaining	after /

put lilo in mbr

This scheme allows me plenty of space for the system in /,
protection of my /home directorys which includes an archive
directory for backups and such if I need to rebuild the / system,
and finally the ability to use lilo to dual-boot if I decide to
do so.  Obviously, the swap size will vary depending on your
needs.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer