Re: transfering linux system to another hard drive

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cheryl Homiak" <chomiak@chartermi.net>
To: <blinux-list@redhat.com>; "speakup" <speakup@braille.uwo.ca>;
<debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2001 3:29 PM
Subject: transfering linux system to another hard drive

> I apologize for the cross-post, but I'm trying to get info as soon as
> possible; even if somebody has just seen this on one of these lists and
> can steer me toward the correct archive it would be appreciated.
> My hard drive with linux is failing; I have just obtained a 20gig drive
> which will have both my dos and linux on it. All drives--my dying linux
> drive, my old and tiny dos drive, and my new drive--are all connected to
> the computer. I will have to partition the hard drive, but it is being
> recognized correctly in the bios and linux. Eventually, the dying drive
> (hda) will be removed as will the dos drive (hdd) and the new drive (hdb)
> will become hda.  I want to know if there is a way to transfer my linux
> >from the dying 2.5gig drive to the new 20gig; I am assuming I will first
> need to partition the hard drive and the partitioning will probably be
> somewhat different from the old drive due to the difference in size.
> Sorry for the info repeat to those on blinux.
> I know I saw a discussion of just this problem somewhere recently but
> haven't been able to locate it.
> Also, can I make my partition that will hold dos with linux since I have
> no data already onthe hard drive to protect?
> thanks.
> Cheryl
>

> --
listmaster@lists.debian.org

Hi!

You cannot install linux and dos on the same partition, at least not without
dealing with umsdos or so and this is not the smoothest solution I think.

But, as far as I have experienced, transferring the system to another hard
drive which is partitioned correctly (one linux native, one linux swap) is
not very difficult: Just use mc to copy the whole hard disk contents
(without /proc, but also dev so that there will be the right entries in the
new /dev directory - mc should only copy the "links" in dev but not the
device contents ;) )  into the new root partition. Then make a directory
named proc in the new root drive. Now, you only have to change some config
files so that the hard drive devices/device numbers are set correctly
(/etc/fstab, /etc/lilo.conf (for the format of this one see man lilo.conf)
... I cannot remember any other files now but that should be sufficient).
The devices you write into those files must be the ones which will be valid
*after* you've disconnected your bad hard disk (*IDE* hard disk devices:
sec. master, /dev/hdd<x> for sec. slave; <x> is the partition number; the
device without <x> the whole disk). Now disconnect your bad hard drive. For
the first start, you'll need a boot disk or debian bootable cd, type rescue
root=/dev/<device name of the partition which is now the new root>; system
starts up; once run lilo and the boot block should be installed; mark
partition with lilo on it as active in fdisk.

I think I've made this at least two times and it's really worth a try as
there is no data on your new HDD yet which could be destroyed, if I've
understood you correctly.

If anyone discovers a fatal error in my solution, please tell us
immediately!

Cheers,

Stephan