Re: DVD player

On Mon, 2001-12-03 at 19:17, Alec wrote:
> On Monday 03 December 2001 03:32 pm, Timo Boewing wrote:
> > Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
> > > Ogle also has issues.
> >
> >   mh, so far i discovered none, but also watched only two movies with
> > it (T2, Episode1). From my point of view, ogle seemed to have the same
> > probs on smooth cam movements like all the other players have (linux
> > and windoze).
> > May this be due to hardware? cos having a laptop, i only use stripped
> > down hardware like: a mobile p3 850mhz w/ geforce2go,
>
> How much RAM on the video card? I'm wondering what kind of hardware one needs
> to play DVDs and MPEG-4s under Linux.

Video RAM is nearly irrelevant.  Anything with 2MB can do
1024x768/16-bit which is what you want for DVD.  For film-source DVDs
you want 72Hz or 96Hz refresh so you need a RAMDAC of 82MHz or 110MHz
respectively.  The other consideration for video cards is that it really
must have an implementation of Xvideo for XFree86, hardware color space
conversion, hardware scaling, and it must have enough video memory
bandwidth to convert/scale at 1024x768/16.

Briefly: you need at least a Matrox Millenium (c. 1995).

Regarding the rest of the system, any 350MHz+ CPU with a vector math
unit will work.  Pentium II/III/IV, Celeron, Duron, K6, Athlon, G4
should be fine.  Once you get to zero dropped frames, there isn't a lot
of point in piling more hardware on.

-jwb