Re: Installing woody

claiming to be Karsten M. Self, <kmself@ix.netcom.com> said:

> You're apparently having problems with a program or system configuration
> issue, but you've provided far from enough information to be able to
> adequately address or resolve the issue.
My bad =P

> Please note that you are the person in the best position to know what
> you're trying to do, what you've done, how the system's responded, and
> generally how it's configured.  It's very helpful if you can post:
>
> - *Exact* commands or steps tried.
> - *Exact* error output or log messages.
I first had a dselect problem, which I won't go into because it is no longer
a problem (I resolved it by reformatting =D). My current problem is as
follows.

I downloaded the 3.0.17 disk set (rescue, root and 4 driver disks). There is
no problem with the disks - I can get all the drivers etc installed. The
problem is when I try to install the base. I first attempted to do this from
my local Debian mirror, ftp://debian.paradise.net.nz/debian. Every time I
tried, I got an error saying "Malformed release file." Thinking the mirror
was broken, I tried the default of ftp://http.us.debian.org. I got the same
error.

I still had my potato base disks (2.2_r3) lying around, so I thought "might
as well try them." It asked for all 11 disks, extracted the base from
/target/basedebs.tgz, then gave the same error about "Malformed release
file."

This is where I am stumped =[

> Often, entering the error messages into a good search engine such as
> Google (http://www.google.com/) will help set you on the road to
> resolving your problems.
I tried this and all I found was someone with the same problem who resolved
it by installing unstable instead of testing. I would quite like to use
testing instead of unstable though.

Sorry, I guess I should have explained myself a bit better to start with =]

Michael