adding groups for local logins only

My primary desktop machine has a number of users, some of who are clued,
some are not.

I want a way for the floppy, cdrom and audio groups to be granted to a
user when they login via X or console, but NOT when connecting in
remotely (ie, ssh).

login.defs was the old way to do this, for tty's at least.
/etc/security/group.conf seems to be the new way (via pam) ... but I
can't get anything I try to work.

Is there a trick I'm missing? I do NOT want to just blanket-add these
people into those groups in the group file, nor do I want to create
a second "group-enables" user for each user. (the first of these ideas
is my last-resort, and the second was actually seriously suggested to
me by a debian user. shame shame shame. :)

I'm after a set-and-forget config that will work across the possible
addition and removal of users down the track...

.../Nemo