Re: serious trouble with exim and procmail

On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 02:08:19PM +0100, Alex Suzuki wrote:
| > It says that \246/usr/bin/procmail wasn't found.  That's the problem.
| > Now the question becomes, why was it looking for that?, what is that
| > \246 character doing?  Usually if there is not a preceding '0' the
| > number is decimal, otherwise octal.  That character, in latin1, is an
| > umluat (an 'o' with two dots above it) if '\246' is read as decimal,
| > or it is a vertical bar with a break in it if '\246' is read as octal.
| >
| > I notice that the character following the space after the '==' is not
| > a regular pipe character.  It is 0xa6, which looks very much like a
| > pipe in latin1 or utf-8.  However a regular pipe character, |, is
| > 0x7c.  0xa6 is not part of the US-ASCII character set.  I bet this is
| > where your problem is.  Now to check your config file :
|
| Strange enough, after toying around (calling eximconfig a thousand
| times), deleting and recreating ~/.forward and ~/.procmailrc files it
| worked again.

Cool, though it is really annoying (at least to me) when a problem
vanishes with no reason.

| I guess some stupid character in a config file messed it all up.

I think so too.

Say, I just noticed that in your signature you have those characters
that are not the ASCII '|'.  In fact, the first one shows up as
0xc2 0xa6 in vim now (I set it to use latin1 for emails, though it
defaults to utf-8).  It seems that the message, as you sent it, was
utf-8.  I wonder if you had some sort of locale settings in an
environment that caused eximconfig or exim to become confused?

-D

--

It took the computational power of three Commodore 64s to fly to the moon.
It takes at least a 486 to run Windows 95.