Re: cproto.deb for potato not available?

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 17:12:39 -0700, Kris Huber wrote:
> I see one under 'unstable' but from what I read, application binaries need
> to be compiled for the kernel you are running.

Regular applications (assuming they're well-written) do not depend on
particular kernel versions.

The reason running binaries from "unstable" on a "stable" system is tricky,
is that such binaries are often compiled against newer versions of
particular libraries than are available as part of "stable".

> More generally, when binaries of a Debian package aren't available for my
> kernel, can I put another distribution (e.g., unstable) in my sources.list
> temporarily and do an 'apt-get sources' to compile an application for my
> kernel?

Yes, but a more comfortable way is to have them in your sources.list
permanently and use the apt_preferences(5) mechanism.

HTH,
Ray
--
Gartner Group ?!?	Never heard of them. What did they do in computing
except manage to put on their tie without accidentaly killing themselves ?!?