cproto.deb for potato not available?

I'm wondering if a 'cproto' debian package is available for the Linux 2.2
kernel.  I see one under 'unstable' but from what I read, application
binaries need to be compiled for the kernel you are running.  Cproto has
been around for several years; I'm surprised it's not there (so I suspect
I'm wrong).

More generally, when binaries of a Debian package aren't available for my
kernel, can I put another distribution (e.g., unstable) in my sources.list
temporarily and do an 'apt-get sources' to compile an application for my
kernel?

Thanks,
Kris