RE: Recognizing Kernel Update to 2.4.12 -- CORRECTION

One thing to know about unix is that, basically, everything is a file. It
seems odd that /usr/src/linux would end up being a regular (non-dir) file,
but.. Whatever. it's fixed now.

I've moved the discussion off of the three lists that you posted to, and put
it just on 'debian-user'. It could just as well go to 'debian-laptop', but,
as many people are subscribed to all the newsgroups, they odn't want to get
messages 3 or 4 times. Nettiquette asks that one normally not crosspost to
multiple newsgroups. Just so you know.

the kernel source directory should contain a listing of files that looks
something like this: (it'll change slightly, based on where you got your
kernel source from):

COPYING        MAINTAINERS  README.Debian   arch     include  kernel  net
CREDITS        Makefile     REPORTING-BUGS  drivers  init     lib
scripts
Documentation  README       Rules.make      fs       ipc      mm

irf you got the source from kernel.org, then it probably untars into a
'linux' directory. You can skip the mv command, and go straight on to the
make <something>config command.

good luck.

glne