X/testing crappy?

hi all,
i noticed threads about X in unstable being unusable, but couldn't
find the time to scan them, so i am posting this with a report from my
system...

for like 4-5 days now, xdm (v4) fails to start my .xsession. before
that, i've had X crash while i moved a window in WindowMaker, and
since i rarely restart X, the problems could be 2 weeks old.

i can identify four of them, some might be dependent and caused by
others - they are indented as i see fit.

(1) xdm reports

     /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc: /usr/bin/ssh-agent
     /home/madduck/.xsession: No such file or directory

   in .xsession-errors, even though .xsession is a perfectly well
   written, executable script which works if i do

     xinit

   and then start .xsession from the xterm i get. that's how i have
   to use X these days...

   (2) ctrl-a and ctrl-e don't work anymore, somehow i have vi
       handling in my shell - but only in X. console works just fine.

(3) startx doesn't start X anymore, but returns to the command line.
    xinit works.

(4) randomly, when i move a window in X with WindowMaker as my WM, X
    freezes. The system still seems fully operable, and i can still
    move my mouse, but there is no control possible with the keyboard
    (hence no switching consoles), and the windows can't be dragged
    anymore.

any clues?

"information superhighway"
 is just an anagram for