Re: nVidia kernel driver fails to initialize

On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 05:26:58PM +0200, Toomas Vananurm wrote:
> > Yepp, same framerates as under Win. Btw.: tried Return To Castle
> > Wolfenstein already? Sqeeze...
> Is there a Wolf.. release for Linux too? This would be fun:)
>
> Btw: I think the nvidia module or nvidia's glx make my system hang sometimes
> (pretty often actually:() Can't figure out what this about. I had the same
> problem with my old pc (Celeron 433 + Riva TNT @Debian (stable)) & I have it
> now too (Athlon 1G + GF2 GTS @Debian unstable).
> I addition of all i cant compile K7 kernel because then the nvidia module
> cannot be loaded (unknown something...dont remember it really..I think the
> point was that it thought that K7 can't mmx.or something:). And yes, I did
> make clean & make.
>
> So I have to use PII kernel:(

Off topic somewhat.
The nvidia drivers tend to hang due to AGP problems. Fixed my trouble by
using AGPGART rather then nvidia's AGP, and in:
/etc/modutils/aliases
added under
alias char-major-10-175 agpgart
options agp_try_unsupported=1

Works anyway on the ASUS A7V133 motherboard.
--
Kevin C. Smith           | "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a
smithkevinc@nettaxi.com  | little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor