Re: wm menus

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 08:47:19PM -0500, Rory O'Connor wrote:
> Somehow i managed to blow away my windowmaker menus for myself.  but if i
> start X as root i see that the structure is there for root.  Does anyone
> know what file the wm menus are stored in for root...and where i'd put them
> to restore them for my onw user acct?

WindowMaker stores its menu in ~/GNUstep/Defaults/WMRootMenu .  By
default, this file contains simply the line

"menu.hook"

which instructs it to search for the file menu.hook in
~/GNUstep/Library/WindowMaker/ (which normally won't exist) and
/etc/X11/WindowMaker/ (which will be found).

If you have edited your menu, wmakerconf/WPrefs will have placed an
actual menu structure into ~/GNUstep/Defaults/WMRootMenu instead of
the menu.hook line.

So, how do you recover?  Two options:

1)  If you just lost your menus on the most recent edit, you may have
a ~/GNUstep/Defaults/WMRootMenu.bak (wmakerconf creates it, I don't
know whether WPrefs does).  Copy it to ~/GNUstep/Defaults/WMRootMenu
and your previous menu configuration will be restored.

2)  Change ~/GNUstep/Defaults/WMRootMenu back to just say
"menu.hook", which will get you back to the default debian menu
structure.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Mr. Slippery