libc6 problems in compilation

Hi,
I've gone crazy trying to figure this out:

gcc -o test test.c
as: error while loading shared libraries: as: symbol __libc_start_maan,
version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

g++ -o test test.C
as: error while loading shared libraries: as: symbol __libc_start_maan,
version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

I am running unstable, and upgraded after some 2 weeks (through a new
proxy server). After getting the above error, I commented out the
unstable lines in sources.conf and put in testing. Then I downgraded
libc6 libc6-dev and locales to the version in testing. I still get the
error above. I also tried compiling with gcc-3, but the result is same.
My default gcc is 2.95.

My other machine which runs unstable (and which I'v been updating nearly
everyday) is OK. But for some reason I can only see libc6-2.2.4-2
(neither 1 as in testing, nor 3 as in unstable)

I've looked at the bug reports but there is nothing there.

TIA,
Indraneel

PS:
test.c and test.C