Re: internet connection

On Tue, 2001-09-18 at 19:05, Mike Missett wrote:
> I have just installed the base system on a 68040 Mac with MacOS8 (I am
> very new to this).  The installation went well and is up and running,
> but I can't seem to get anywhere on the internet.  ppp is dialing the
> modem and making the appropriate noises, but the other programs insist
> that nothing is happening.  Telnet says no connection, Apt-get and
> dselect say things like Failed to get, could not resolve, no such file
> or directory, host name lookup failure, error exit status 1, etc.  Can
> somebody point me in the right direction here?
> Also, while I'm at it, I get nothing with the man command.  Has more
> replaced that or am I doing something wrong?

If you have just installed the base system you will need to install
other programs such as man using apt-get install. I've built up all my
Debian systems from minimum floppy disk installs so I'm aware of all the
programs that will be missing :-) Do an "apt-get install less info"
while you're at it. "less" is much better than "more". You can scroll up
and down plus search for words by pressing /

Either "cat <text file> | less" or just type "less <text file>"

Sorry I can't help you with the rest. Just a tip: worry about getting
DNS lookups working later. You first want to know whether you can ping
known working (remote) IP addresses. Then worry about resolving their IP
addresses from their domain names by putting the IP addresses of your
DNS server(s) in /etc/resolv.conf

Regards,
Adam