internet connection

I have just installed the base system on a 68040 Mac with MacOS8 (I am very new to this).  The installation went well and is up and running, but I can't seem to get anywhere on the internet.  ppp is dialing the modem and making the appropriate noises, but the other programs insist that nothing is happening.  Telnet says no connection, Apt-get and dselect say things like Failed to get, could not resolve, no such file or directory, host name lookup failure, error exit status 1, etc.  Can somebody point me in the right direction here?
Also, while I'm at it, I get nothing with the man command.  Has more replaced that or am I doing something wrong?
Any assistance would be most appreciated.
Michael Missett