How to get rid of Gnome desktop?

Can anybody tell me exactly when and how a particular desktop (Gnome or
KDE) is started on a Debian system?  After a `startx` all kinds of scripts
and programs get run using all kind of config files and I loose track
where Gnome comes in.

The situation is, that now both KDE and Gnome start.  To my surprise the
system still works, but now I got 2 toolbars, a full .xsession-errors,
and a sluggish system.

I have been using KDE.  The current situation came about when I installed
Debian on another disk, but still used my old /home/ partition on the old
disk; the new install has Gnome instead of KDE.
Now if I boot my old system and startx as a mortal, I get KDE as I used
to, AND the Gnome desktop.
Yes, Gnome has largely been installed on the old system too; too much
stuff depends on it to remove it altogether.
Now the new install is NOT anywhere accessible from the old system; so all
changes must be in my homedir.  I removed anything with Gnome there, but
after a startx Gnome happily comes up and puts another .gnome/ in my
homedir.
Help?

--

	Tom "thriving on chaos" Peters