Re: uptime

on Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 01:26:44PM +1200, Richard Hector (rhector@actrix.gen.nz) wrote:
> dman wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 03:03:39PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > | on Sat, Sep 15, 2001 at 11:29:21PM -0400, dman (dsh8290@rit.edu) wrote:

<...>

> > | Two-kernel monty allows you to boot a kernel from within a running
> > | GNU/Linux session,
> >
> > Ooh, cool.  I'll have to check it out.  Maybe that way I could switch
> > framebuffer resolutions without rebooting :-).
> >
> > | though all session timers restart.
> >
> > | You'd have to somehow feed an uptime value to the new kernel to
> > | actually | carry uptime forward.  Again, it would be something of a
> > | fib.
> >
> > Yeah, it makes sense because the uptime measures how long the kernel
> > has been running.  Maybe we need to make a new timer that shows how
> > long the *system* has been running without a reboot (even a soft
> > reboot).  This would have to be hardware level I think.
>
> What about just looking at the start time of init? Though I guess you
> might want to replace that without a reboot too. ps shows it, but only
> the date for an old process. Is the more detailed info available
> somewhere?

init restarts as well.

To be clear:  two-kernel monty is essentially the same as rebooting
your system.  Except that you're not rebooting, you're running a new
kernel.

When the kernel boots, the system reinitializes:

  - All timers (including uptime) are reset.
  - All processes (including init) are killed.
  - All environment is lost.

You're starting the system over from scratch.

What's the advantage?  Flexibility.  You can use TCM to boot the system
from one configuration, to enable getting it to where you want to be.
It's roughly akin to LOADLIN under DOS, but looks far more impressive to
the assembled geeks ;-)

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org