XAPPLRESDIR ignored.

Hi,

I am trying to create a resource file for particular programs
as specified in "The X Window User HOWTO", section 8.5, instead
of having the settings for all of them in ~/.Xdefaults.

However it does not seem to work. Here is what I have done:

- Set XAPPLRESDIR to point to ~/app-defaults in the top of
  ~/.xinitrc and an echo gives:

       mojo@gatsby:~$ echo $XAPPLRESDIR
       /home/mojo/app-defaults

- Obtained the resource name for eg. rxvt by using xprop, and
  it returns:

       WM_CLASS(STRING) = "rxvt", "XTerm"

- I have created a file 'rxvt' in ~/app-defaults with some
  settings like:

       *background:        black
       *foreground:        white
       *geometry:          78x28+0+0
       *font:              12x24
       *scrollBar_right:   true
       *saveLines:         500
       *termName:          xterm-xfree86

and I have commented out settings in ~/.Xdefaults |
~/.Xressources that might override the above settings.

To be sure I have also tried renaming the file in
~/app-defaults "XTerm" and "Rxvt" but no go.

Why doesn't it work?

Regards,

Morten

--
"Anyone can do any amount of work provided it isn't the work he is supposed
 to be doing at that moment."                             (Robert Benchley)