Re: postgresql/horde/imp problem on woody (was Re: testing)

Martin F Krafft wrote:
  >i am running testing. i constantly get
  >
  >  /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/do.maintenance: /etc/postgresql/postgresql.env:
  >  +No such file or directory
  >
  >from cron.
  >
  >postgresql is installed, standard woody package. absolutely no
  >databases are defined yet, i just ran initdb.

That should have been done by the postinst script; why did you find it
necessary?

I consider the package in testing to be very buggy; unfortunately
I can't get 7.1.3-4 into testing (I think because of an RC bug
on libssl-dev).  The bug you have is fixed in the unstable version,
which you should install in preference to 7.1release-4.

A quick workaround is to edit /etc/postgresql/postgresql.env
and insert these contents (possibly with modifications for your own
setup):
# postgresql debian package
#
# This section is supplied as part of the Debian package for PostgreSQL.
# It sets the environment for an ordinary user of PostgreSQL and should
# be executed by the .profile or equivalent for the postgres administrator
#
# It is automatically read by all six frontend programs (in the
# postgresql-client package).

[ -r /etc/postgresql/postmaster.conf ] &&
	. /etc/postgresql/postmaster.conf

PGDATA=${POSTGRES_DATA:-/var/lib/postgres/data}
PGLIB=/usr/lib/postgresql/lib
PGACCESS_HOME=/usr/lib/postgresql/share/pgaccess
PGHOST=

export PGLIB PGDATA PGACCESS_HOME PGHOST

  >anyway, now i need to install imp and horde.
  >i configure horde to use a PostgreSQL container (option 1.1), give the
  >hostname for the database as localhost (option 2), and it goes about

If the hostname is "localhost" you must make sure that PostgreSQL is
started with the "-i" option (to allow TCP/IP connections).  This is
off by default.  You may also need to edit /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf
to install the correct access policy.  If the hostname is blank,
PostgreSQL will use a UNIX socket connection instead.

  >to do it's stuff:
  >
  >  pgsql extension for php4 found.
  >  Error when trying to connect to the pgsql database.
  >  This error can occur if you have no database to connect to, or
  >  if the password was incorrect.

or if you are trying to connect with TCP/IP when the postmaster isn't
configured to accept it?

  >  use: dpkg-reconfigure -plow packagename to reconfigure.
  >
  >isn't it supposed to create the database itself? and it never asked me
  >for a password. how can i get horde to run with the postgresql
  >backend???

     "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God..."
                                Psalm 14:1