postgresql/horde/imp problem on woody (was Re: testing)

guten abend!

also sprach Gerhard Kroder (on Fri, 14 Sep 2001 10:04:32PM +0200):
> you should convert to testing, maybe... just kidding. But: on testing
> postgres runs quite well, too. Currently as of 7.1-4

i am running testing. i constantly get

  /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/do.maintenance: /etc/postgresql/postgresql.env:
  +No such file or directory

from cron.

postgresql is installed, standard woody package. absolutely no
databases are defined yet, i just ran initdb.

anyway, now i need to install imp and horde.
i configure horde to use a PostgreSQL container (option 1.1), give the
hostname for the database as localhost (option 2), and it goes about
to do it's stuff:

  pgsql extension for php4 found.
  Error when trying to connect to the pgsql database.
  This error can occur if you have no database to connect to, or
  if the password was incorrect.
  use: dpkg-reconfigure -plow packagename to reconfigure.

isn't it supposed to create the database itself? and it never asked me
for a password. how can i get horde to run with the postgresql
backend???

any help appreciated!
thanks,
martin

ps: this happens later during the horde install:

  apache needs to be restarted:
  Stopping web server: apache.
  /usr/sbin/apachectl stop: httpd stopped
  Starting web server: apache.
  /usr/sbin/apachectl start: httpd (pid 28916) already running

--> doesn't really look that stable to me. especially that after this,
apache had died...

woody does have some peculiarities still!

windoze 98: <n.> useless extension to a minor patch release for 32-bit
  extensions and a graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit
  operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor, written
  by a 2-bit company that can't stand for 1 bit of competition.