Re: dpkg

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 05:56:38PM -0500, Stathy G. Touloumis wrote:
> What is 'start-stop-daemon'?  When I try to install a package using dpkg I
> get this error.
>
> ----
> dpkg: `start-stop-daemon' not found on PATH.
> dpkg: 1 expected program(s) not found on PATH.
> NB: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and /sbin.
> ---
on my system (running potato), /sbin/start-stop-daemon is part of
dpkg*.deb,  I guess your real problem is explained by the last line.

Try

# echo ${PATH}

If it says something like

/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin

It means that you have accidentally configured the PATH as if
you were not running as root.  To fix it temporarily type

# export PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:${PATH}

To make the fix more permanent, you need to put the new path in
/root/.profile or some other place depending on how you logged in
as root.

> Thanks,

You're welcome.

--
This message is hastily written, please ignore any unpleasant wordings,
do not consider it a binding commitment, even if its phrasing may