Re: Dowgrade Problems

> I recently made the mistake of trying to upgrade to some packages in
> Woody, and because of that I can no longer get X to work. I'm now trying
> to get things back to the way they were, and was told to use dselect to
> do this. However when I mark Obsolete (Woody) packages for removal,
> some packages from Potato (some of which are require) claim dependency on
> the Obsolete packages. Shouldn't they be able to rely on the Potato
> versions, which they relied on before I changed things?

They will be able to rely on the Potato versions.
The point is that they want those dependencies installed. Once you are trying
to remove any package they depend on, they can not see neither the Potato nor
the Woody versions installed, which is why you are warned.
One way out of this is to knowingly break your system, something like

     # dpkg -i the_potato_version.deb

As far as I know you will be warned but will be able to have the operation
continues.
Still, it might break your system in case you will not handle this carefully.
Hopefully, the break will be temporarily and once all the Potato packages get
reinstalled, most, if not all, the stuff will work like before.