Install "testing" from scratch?

I've got a few new Dell systems that I'd like to install Debian
on. They're pretty generic systems, e.g, AIC-7892 SCSI, 2 SCSI disks,
IDE CD/RW, etc., but they are dual processor and so I want a 2.4.x
kernel installed and thought I'd jump right in with the "testing"
distribution. I've been running it at home and on my laptop without
any trouble.

The problem is that the new workstations will be installed from
scratch and the other two systems I run "testing" on were
dist-upgraded via apt. I built the "testing" rescue, root and driver-x
floppies but I can't find a base system in the disks-i386 directory?
It's been a while since I did an install from scratch but don't I
still need a base*.tgz file for the base system. Is there not one
available for testing?

I suppose I can install a bare-bones potato and dist-upgrade to
testing but that's an additional step I would rather avoid if
possible.

Thanks,
Gary Hennigan