Re: Building modules

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 10:50:46PM -0700, Bill Wohler wrote:
>   My question is this: How do I add modules to /lib/modules?
>
>   For example, I found that I neglected to include the lp modules and
>   want to build and install them in a similar Debian-fashioned way but
>   without doing a full kernel install and reboot. The docs indicated
>   that this might do it:
>
>     [root@gbr:503]# make-kpkg modules_image

No that is for external modules (not part of linus' linux).

>   But alas, it did not. make-kpkg modules_image appears to be more for
>   addons in /usr/src/modules (which does not yet exist on my system,
>   but creating it didn't help) rather than mainstreamed modules.

Exactly.

>   Suggestions?

All you want is to rebuild the lp modules in the kernel source.
But it is easier to just rebuild your entire kernel, with lp added
to the config.  Then upgrade the kernel-image, it will replace the
kernel without lp cleanly (another advantage of make-kpkg).

Maybe it is possible to only rebuild the lp.o objects and simply
insmod them into your original kernel.  YMMV.  You will have to add
the lp.o file to /lib/modules by hand and dpkg will not clean it up
when you dpkg -r the kernel-image it belongs to.

Cheers,

Joost