Re: big IBM harddisk

Hi,

Some more info.....

1) Make sure your system boots using your 1 Gb hdd
2) Check what your kernel says about hdd's (dmesg is your friend)
3) Once you have found it use (c)fdisk to create partitions, and add
filesystems using the normal tools
4) mount em somewhere

This *should* work for all. One tip to prevent bios crap:
1) connect the 1 Gb and CDROM to your mainboard
2) power-on and go to bios, do autodetect
3) check that the Secondary master and slave are set to NONE
4) save settings
5) power down
6) connect the Big One as Secondary Master
7) Power On (DO NOT GO TO BIOS TO TELL IT ABOUT THE BIG ONE)
This way you leave all the work that needs to be done to your kernel.
If i try to autodetect my IBM the Abit stops responding......

The wisedom behind : Put the 40 gb drive in as hdc, and cdrom as hdb:
Loads of controllers have to talk to both drives (on the same cable) in the
same way. This means that both of them run at the maximum speed of the
slowest drive. Putting the Big One on it's own cable allows for maximum
speed. There are controllers who are smarter than this, check out if yours
is.

btw, i made a typo... my drive is a DTLA-305040, not a DLTA-304050
(whoepsy....)

regards,
Nico de Haer