Re: big IBM harddisk

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, nico de haer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I own a IBM DTLA 304050 (41.1 Gb) and i have the same problem using it on my
> Abit LX6 mainboard.
> To solve it i installed a second hdd (old 1 gb seagate) as hda (told bios
> about it) the ibm as hdc (did NOT tell bios about it) and my cdrom is
> connected as hdb. Linux boots using the 1 Gb drive and the kernel 'finds'
> the IBM.
>
> i know, it's a workaround, but it does work.
>
> Regards,
> Nico de haer

Sounds interesting. Now I don't remember the make of the mainboard, but I
think that this might work for me as well. (That computer of mine is at
home, not connected with the net, I'm writing this using another computer
at work.)

My system is (for some reason by someone, because it has been working, I
haven't changed it) as follows:
________
1 Gb hdd as hda, debian boots from this
HP cd-writer as hdd
_______

1) Should I try to change my cd into hdb and that IBM as hdc?
2) Or should it work, if I put IBM as hdc, but don't change anything else?

I've actually tried already 2), but didn't get it working.
Which program (fdisk?) should I use to check, if I can do anything with
that BM hdd?

-hv