X win sys 4.x and potato

Hi folks.
I'm running an install of potato that I want to upgrade to the 4.0 version of X. Someone pointed me to the debs put together by Branden and I've been struggling with this ever since.
After scouring the archives I've found a few answers which have moved me ahead somewhat, but I'm now totally stuck.

I now get no actual errors and everything appears to be where it is expected to be but X fails to start correctly. More accurately, from the CLI when I "startx" the server seems to start but gives me a message "Waiting for X server to begin accepting connections". It will sit like that for as long as my patience holds out and I don't ctrl-break..

A quick recap of what I've done:
1. Added "deb http://people.debian.org/%7Ecpbotha/ xf403_potato/i386/" and "...xf403_potato/all/" to my sources list.
2. Did an apt-get update
3. Did an apt-get dist-upgrade
4. Downloaded and installed (using dpkg) the libfreetype6 debs (also from Branden).
5. Did an apt-get xbase-clients (resolves dependency issue?)
6. Created the symlink "/etc/X11/X" pointing to /usr/bin/X11/Xfree86".
(I don't understand why I would create a symlink to a symlink instead of linking directly but there it is, and that's what I've done.)
7. ran "xf86config", and even tried "xfree86cfg" - successfully created the XF86Config-4 file.

I even tried to install those libfreetype6 packages before doing the dist-upgrade so as to head off the dependency issues. Strangely,  the libfreetype6 debs aren't seen as valid debs until AFTER I've done the dist-upgrade, at which point I understand that I must go back and do step#5 (see above).

Thanks,
Marc.