Re: apt-get update/upgrade/dist-upgrade hassels

jeroen@valcke.com wrote:
>On Sun, May 27, 2001 at 02:44:10PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
>> Er, perl-5.004? That's ancient, go ahead and remove it as long as some
>> other perl is still there (which I imagine it is). Most of the others
>> have been superseded; dunno about snmp and snmpd.
>
>Hmm, but why does it want to remove opera for example. I installed opera
>by downloading the debian package from their website. Is this why?

I don't know about opera; it's not part of Debian, so maybe they don't
keep its dependencies up to date.

>Also why doesn't apt-get upgrade work and apt-get dist-upgrade does? Why?

Because dist-upgrade is willing to remove packages in order to perform
the upgrade. Without that, for instance, it won't have been possible to
upgrade to the newer perl packages (since they conflict with
perl-5.004), and that alone will have blocked a large number of
packages.