Re: apt-get update/upgrade/dist-upgrade hassels

jeroen@valcke.com wrote:
>And when I apt-get dist-upgrade
>Tomsk:~# apt-get dist-upgrade
>Reading Package Lists... Done
>Building Dependency Tree... Done
>Calculating Upgrade... Done
>The following packages will be REMOVED:
>  libguile6 libqt2.2 netkit-rpc opera perl-5.004 perl-5.004-base
>perl-5.004-suid pnmtopng snmp snmpd
>The following NEW packages will be installed:
>  bonobo communicator-base-477 communicator-smotif-477 console-common
>	<snip>
>following packages have been kept back communicator debian-policy pan
>254 packages upgraded, 32 newly installed, 10 to remove and 3 not
>upgraded.
>Need to get 115MB/132MB of archives. After unpacking 34.3MB will be used.
>Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
>Abort.
>
>Which I abort since I don't really trust it, Perl is listed among the
>packages to be removed. I have had bad experience with the perl package
>being removed.

Er, perl-5.004? That's ancient, go ahead and remove it as long as some
other perl is still there (which I imagine it is). Most of the others
have been superseded; dunno about snmp and snmpd.

>Also When is it appropriate to just apt-get upgrade and when to apt-get
>dist-upgrade?

apt-get(8) says:

       dist-upgrade
              dist-upgrade, in addition to performing  the  func­
              tion  of upgrade, also intelligently handles chang­
              ing dependencies with  new  versions  of  packages;
              apt-get  has  a "smart" conflict resolution system,
              and it will attempt to upgrade the  most  important
              packages  at  the expense of less important ones if
              necessary.  The /etc/apt/sources.list file contains
              a  list of locations from which to retrieve desired
              package files.

It's appropriate from one release of the distribution to another, and it
may well be appropriate from time to time while running unstable.

If you don't feel confident interpreting what apt-get tells you, perhaps
you should use dselect or one of the apt frontends, as they'll give you
more details.