Re: for i in *

John Hasler wrote:

> Viktor Rosenfeld writes:
> > ...my suggestion of improved readability is also valid and therefore one
> > could argue that Spaces In Filenames(tm) is a Good Thing(tm).
>
> > Now, how is that for a compromise, eh?  Damn, am I good.  Peace brothers,
> > peace!

> Nah.  Let's argue some more.

Okay, here we go. ;-P

> If you can't name each file in a directory
> with an evocative single word you have not organized your data very well

*Actually*, I don't have a big problem finding an evocative [1] single
word for each file, however, it's not always me who chooses the file
name.  So, let's get geeky ...

	find ~ -name "* *" -print

shows exactly four locations where I use spaces

1) Mail folders
2) MP3 file and directory names
3) KDE bookmarks
4) "legacy stuff" from my old Windows partition

To eliminate the spaces in 1) through 3) I'd either have to change the
name of the mail folder, MP3 name of KDE bookmark or the program would
have to have some logic of escaping the spaces.  Well, the latter would
simply be an butt-ugly hack and with regard to the former ... well, it's
called "Viktor Rosenfeld" and not "Viktor.Rosenfeld" or
"viktor-rosenfeld" or "vrosenfeld" or "rosenfeldv".  And I used to call
my MP3s like Air/Moon.Safari-Kelly.Watch.The.Stars.mp3, but I ditched
this scheme _very_ quickly.

With regard to number 4: Well, I was young and needed the money.

> (and no, you can't look at my home directory).

Oh man, I only now realized that your post was with tounge-in-check.
[Is that how you say it?]

/me looking at the watch

Better go to bed now.

Cheers,
Viktor

PS: Almost forgot the foot notes
[1] Cool word.  :)  Had to look it up in the dictionary.
--
Viktor Rosenfeld
WWW: http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~rosenfel/