Re: for i in *

On Sun, 20 May 2001, Viktor Rosenfeld wrote:
> Martin Fluch wrote:
>
> > > Of course, some people argue, that spaces in filenames is a Bad
> > > Thing(tm), but I fail to see why.
> >
> > Could exactly this be the reason, why spaces in filenames are considered
> > as a bad thing, since they easily lead into trouble?
>
> But, this trouble is easily avoided with double quotes and on the flip
> side, spaces make things much more readable.
> IMeanIt'SNotLikeWeDon'tUseSpacesInNormalWriting.
> And-I-have-yet-to-see-somebody-who-replaces-all-spaces-with-dashes-or-dots.
> See.what.I.mean?

"I/don't/think/you/would write/text like/this"

Is it one path or three?  It may just be many years of not using
spaces in filenames that has me seeing three paths, even though I've
known for the same amount of time that filenames can contain spaces
and the quotes would seem to indicate that it is one path... but I
think it has more to do with our wetware naturally wanting to break
things up into groups, and a blank space being a natural candidate to
base a division on.

It could be an efficiency issue.

> Also, along with bash's tab completion or GUI file managers, spaces
> don't cause me any trouble.

Ya, computers don't care about efficiency or readability. ;)

- Bruce