ximian mozilla breaks netscape4.77

In a message long ago...
http://webhotel.mit-inter.net/debian-user/00/10/4204.html

Bob Bernstein wrote about an error he received...

"INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Could not load
/usr/lib/j2re1.3/lib/i386/libjavaplugin_oji.so: linking error=undefined
symbol: PR_GetCurrentThread"

In an unrelated solution, but related problem...

after upgrading all my machines to ximian stable from helixcode,
noting the following:

mozilla 0.8.1-ximian.11
mozilla-browser 0.8.1-ximian.11
mozilla-mailnews 0.8.1-ximian.11
libnspr4 4.1-ximian.3

netscape 4.77 (or 4.76) errored with:
"INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Could not load
/usr/lib/j2re1.3/lib/i386/libjavaplugin_oji.so: linking error=undefined
symbol: PR_GetCurrentThread"

I then traced the problem back libnspr4 (which contained prthread.h).

So I uninstalled libnspr4, mozilla, mozilla-browser, mozilla-mailnews.

I then installed libnspr4 alone,
netscape 4.77 (or 4.76) worked.

I then installed mozilla-browser,
netscape 4.77 (or 4.76) errored with the same error as above.

I also had to make sure ldd was installed, for some reason on a few of the
machines where ldd wasn't installed (from ldso, which contains it, strange
why it wasn't there) I wouldn't get this error with netscape 4.7[67] even
with mozilla-browser installed.

I re-installed ldso (same version, just did a dpkg -i ldso_1.9.11-9.deb)
onto all the machines to install ldd, and removed mozilla-* and installed
libnspr4 so that netscape 4.7[67] would work again.

I then installed netscape 6 which works fine.

My solution is to wait until another version of mozilla comes out, and try
again.

I have no question, just wanted to let people know, if they encounter the
same problem, how I worked around it. And to let the people who know about
these packages, that I had a problem.

Thanks!

Todd Weaver

p.s. I and all at the firm I set this all up for are very happy with
     ximian