Re:[Update]yet another ppp failure story....

Just in case anyone is interested, or if anyone searches archives of these messages for a solution to a problem similar to the one I experienced, I thought I would post my solution.

My problem was that every time I tried to start a ppp connection, the modem would hangup. My debugging output looked something like this
Dec 28 22:15:36 localhost pppd[435]: Serial connection established.
Dec 28 22:15:36 localhost pppd[435]: Using interface ppp0
Dec 28 22:15:36 localhost pppd[435]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
Dec 28 22:15:37 localhost pppd[435]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
Dec 28 22:15:37 localhost pppd[435]: Modem hangup
Dec 28 22:15:37 localhost pppd[435]: Connection terminated.
Dec 28 22:15:38 localhost pppd[435]: Exit.

I would get this same result despite having correctly set up my chatscript and called pppd. The problem turns out to be the device I was using to access. Following everyone's instruction, I was using /dev/ttyS0 as my modem device. This device will work to dial the modem, but it just won't work to establish a connection. So I tried to do it the old fashion way and used /dev/cua0, which is reputedly deprecated and kernel support may no longer be available. It works perfectly, despite a error message the kernel issues, which can be easily ignored.

On my debian install, the device /dev/cua0 was missing, so I had to create it with the following command: mknod -m 666 /dev/cua0 c 5 64. Once this device is created, you don't have to create it again upon each startup.

Now I simply have to call: pppd /dev/cua0 38000 connect "chat -vf chatscript" to get my ppp connection.

One more thing, I am not sure what the source of this problem is. I am using kernel 2.2.17 and Debian potato on an Apple PowerPC 7500, so the problem may lie within the powerpc port itself.

Thanks for all those people who helped me,

--
W. Crowshaw